Tuesday, August 28, 2012
We really need to work out a system of having a choir that does all the choir parts on everyones songs. I love group vocals! We recorded some choir-y parts on the Teacups EP and some foot stomps and handclaps and now I think its 99% recorded... (we just forgot 1 vocal line that Chelsea needs to sing and maybe I'll end up adding more percussion or something when it comes to mix)
Talitas presence was with us today in the form of Liz's t-shirt. (that is Talitas face on her shirt)
To capture the little choir I had KM184s in a spaced pair and then the Kiwi set to omni, we double tracked most of them and I might use the stereo mics from one take and then the Kiwi from the other and then on top of that there's other layers of the group singing different harmonies.
Friday, August 24, 2012
Tuesday, August 21, 2012
We recorded some more drums for Ivory Coast's album over the past couple of days, we tracked a couple of new songs and then re-did some of the songs that had changed a bit since the initial drum recording and added some extra percussion here and there. Despite me having a nasty cold it was actually a fun couple of days of recording!
I tried out my Studio Projects C4's as some stereo room mics (they were ok, not sure if I'll bother again) and I had an MD421 as an extra kick mic on the floor just angled up to the front of the skin (which actually sounds really great). In total I had 14 mics on the kit, which is quite a few for me but I like to get a few options up so I can delete most of them. For one song we tracked yesterday I'll probably only be using the kick, snare and the ribbon mics. But its nice to have the others there in case maybe I wanted to have the stereo room mics for to give the drums some stereo interest or more depth or maybe I needed a little more hihat or a tom etc.
Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Mimsy recorded some guide tracks for a couple of new songs for her record the other day, while I had my new Casio XW-P1 plugged in we tracked a couple of little keyboard parts too. There was an organ part in one of the songs that I wanted to do with something that sounded like a little combo organ rather than the Hammond and this keyboard seemed to work well for that, we managed to coax a fairly convincing tone out of it.